Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way to minimize anxiety and discomfort at the dentist office. If you’re wondering whether sedation dentistry could be right for you, consider the types of patients who benefit the most from this treatment option.
- Nervous or anxious patients: Millions of people feel nervous about going to the dentist. Don’t let dental anxiety prevent you from getting the dental care you need! Sedation dentistry “takes the edge off,” making your next dentist visit more pleasant than you thought possible.
- Patients undergoing a smile transformation: If you need several dental procedures at once, sedation dentistry makes your treatment more comfortable. With lower anxiety and an overall feeling of calm, it’s easier than ever to transform your smile with the restorative services you need.
- Patients with a sensitive gag reflex: You may be nervous about a dentist or hygienist working in your mouth because you have a sensitive gag reflex. Sedation dentistry is the perfect way to combat this uncomfortable feeling, allowing you to relax and receive the care you need.
- Patients with a low pain threshold: Thanks to modern dental anesthesia, even notorious root canals are about as uneventful as getting a filling. Still, you may be nervous just anticipating the pain you might feel, especially if you had a negative experience with your previous dentist. Not only does sedation dentistry make you feel more relaxed, but it also dulls your sense of pain to keep you comfortable from start to finish.
If you think sedation dentistry may be right for you, the last step is to decide which one to try. West County Dental offers two options:
- Oral conscious sedation is a pill that relaxes you but keeps you awake and able to respond. You’ll need to take the medication before coming to the dentist and have a family member or friend drive you to and from the appointment.
- Nitrous oxide, commonly called laughing gas, is a mild sedative delivered through your nose. It is completely safe to breathe and doesn’t put you to sleep. Instead, you feel cheerful and relaxed while having dental work done. The sedation level is easy to adjust and takes effect within seconds.
To learn more about the sedation dentistry options at West County Dental, please contact our St. Louis dentist office at (314) 488-2921 or contact us online.
Do you dread going to the dentist? Sedation dentistry is a perfect option to consider. While many people think sedation dentistry is just for anxious patients, it can actually be beneficial in several different situations.
- The most common reason people choose sedation dentistry is dental anxiety. Maybe you had a bad experience with dental treatment in the past, or maybe you’re just extremely uncomfortable with someone putting dental instruments into your mouth. We understand, and we want to provide you with a comfortable, anxiety-free experience.
- Some people are just sensitive. If you have a sensitive gag reflex or sensitive teeth and gums, sedation dentistry might be the answer for you. Sedation helps you relax, reduces discomfort, and minimizes your gag reflex during your appointment.
- Complex dental problems can take time to treat. If you need a treatment requires a longer visit, sedation dentistry can help you stay relaxed throughout the treatment. In fact, some dental procedures require fewer appointments when patients are sedated during the treatment.
- Fidgety patients benefit from sedation dentistry. People who have trouble sitting still often find it difficult to get through a dental appointment. Sedation dentistry helps you stay calm, relaxed, and peaceful.
If you think you might be a good candidate for sedation dentistry, St. Louis dental practice West County Dental offers two different types of sedation. Nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, is a short acting and easily-controlled type of sedation. Oral sedation involves taking prescription medication prior to your appointment. Your dentist can advise you on the type of sedation that’s right for you, but here are some facts about each:
- Nitrous oxide is safe enough for children to take it. In fact, it’s great for kids who are anxious or frightened by dental appointments. It’s combined with oxygen and breathed in through a mask, and patients can even drive themselves home after their appointment. There are no side effects from nitrous oxide, aside from mild drowsiness as it wears off.
- Oral sedation can be used for almost all dental procedures, but only for adults. Patients stay calm and relaxed but can answer questions while under this kind of sedation. The medication is taken before you come to the dental office, and the dentist will decide whether it’s enough or should be combined with nitrous oxide. You will need to have a driver bring you to and from your visit on the day of sedation.
At West County Dental, we provide personalized family dental care using state of the art procedures. Adhering to a standard of excellence, we provide comprehensive treatment, from preventive care to restorative dentistry. When you reserve a visit with West County Dental, you can be confident that our team of highly-trained dental professionals will provide you the care you need for a healthy smile. Call (314) 488-2921 or visit our website today!
If you suffer from dental anxiety , you may want to consider visiting a sedation dentist who practices family dentistry near St. Louis. Many dental patients feel nervous or afraid before going to the dentist, but a sedation dentist can ensure that the entire experience is calming and pleasant!
Sedation dentistry uses medication to relax patients during their visit to the dentist’s office. Sedation is generally safe for patients of all ages and for a variety of procedures in family dentistry. When a dentist administers medication, patients are immediately relieved of anxiety. With nitrous oxide, patients experience a mild sedative effect but are still able to communicate with a dentist throughout the visit. Patients can still communicate with their dentist, but may not remember much of the visit—and will need a friend to drive them home. If you prefer to avoid needles, your dentist can administer sedation through oral medication instead.
Find our more about sedation dentistry or family dentistry by speaking directly with a sedation dentist. Call Dr. Spalitto at West County Dental at (314) 821-2712 to get started!
If you have a fear or aversion of visiting the dentist, then dental sedation may be perfect for you. With sedation dentistry, medication is administered that will relax you and relieve you of your anxiety during the procedure. If you’re in need of a root canal, dental implant, dental crowns, or dental veneers, look into sedation dentistry in St. Louis . Read on to learn more, then contact Dr. Spalitto at West County Dental if you have additional questions about sedation dentistry.
Dental Sedation Will Relax You
Dental sedation will calm your fears and eliminate the anxiety that you may feel when visiting your dentist. If you tend to be anxious or on edge during dental procedures, dental sedation may be necessary to ensure that the dentist can safely perform the procedure without worrying that you will move or jerk away suddenly. Sleep dentistry can give you a sense of comfort and calm that you may not have experienced in other visits to the dentist. This can make your visits much less scary and overwhelming, and even encourage you to visit your dentist more often.
Dental Procedures Will Seem Faster and Easier
Sedation dentistry is often called sleep dentistry. This is due to the fact that although you do not actually fall asleep during the procedure, you do feel very calm and relaxed. This sleepy feeling you will experience can make a long dental procedure seem much faster and easier than it would if you were not sedated. The medication that your dentist administers will help you achieve a feeling similar to a trance, which may even cause you to forget most parts of your dental surgery.
Sedation Dentistry Encourages Dental Visits
Many people avoid regular visits to their family dentist because they assume they will experience pain and discomfort. A sedation dentist, such as Dr. Spalitto, can help you overcome this dental fear, as you become accustomed to the fact that your dental procedures will be performed while you are relaxed and calm. This will encourage you to visit your dentist more frequently, resulting in improved oral hygiene and dental health.
Dr. Spalitto works hard to offer his patients the kind of services they need to maintain clean and healthy smiles. Keep reading to learn more about his IV sedation dentistry in St. Louis and how it can help you get best your dental fears to get the treatment you need:
If you opt for IV sedation, you will get a sedative injected directly into the vein to help you relax during your visit. The sedative does not keep you from communicating, but it does help you feel calm enough to get the procedures that will help you maintain your oral health.
The sedation helps you forget what happens during the visit. If you want to get IV sedation during your next visit, you should set up a consultation with Dr. Spalitto so you can talk about what to expect from the procedure. If dental fear or anxiety is keeping you from getting important dental treatments, IV sedation can help.
Has fear been keeping you out of the dental chair? Don’t worry—you’re not alone. Millions of Americans have anxiety about going to the dentist, and many people in that group are so fearful that they never get dental care at all. Pretending your oral health needs don’t exist won’t make them go away, and in fact, ignoring them can lead to a long list of issues, from tooth loss to heart disease. The good news for patients with dental anxiety is that help is available in the form of sedation dentistry. Find out how sedation dentistry can revolutionize your dental office visit in this infographic from West County Dental. Our dental office serving St. Louis in West County is pleased to offer nervous patients sedation so they can develop a more positive outlook on dental care. Dental anxiety is so common that you’re sure to help many people by sharing this information, so please pass it on.
Are you one of the many people who postpone or completely avoid your dentist serving St. Louis because of fear? Dental phobia is a common problem, but help is available if only you talk to your dentist. Sedation dentistry can allow you to get the dental care that is so vital to your overall well being without the intense fear.
There are a few different kinds of sedation dentistry options. Nitrous oxide is a mild sedative that you can inhale via a nose hood. IV sedation is delivered by injection and provides a higher level of sedation. For those patients who want the benefits of IV sedation without the use of needles, oral conscious sedation is a good option. Your dentist can help you make a decision about the right method of sedation for you based on your level of fear and the dental procedure you’re having. Nitrous oxide may be appropriate for dental cleanings and fillings, while you may wish for a stronger, longer-lasting method for lengthier procedures, like a same-day dental implant.
- dental veneers
- full service dental practice
- porcelain veneers
- same day crowns
- Dental Cosmetic Surgery
- Dental Implants
- Dentist Review
- Laser Dentistry
- Root Canal
- Sedation Dentistry
- Teeth Whitening
- Abscessed Teeth
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Gum Recession
- Periodontal Disease
- Dental Health
- Family Dentistry
- Dental Emergency
- Same Day Dental Procedures
- Gum disease
- Sleep Apnea
- December (2)
- November (1)
- October (3)
- September (2)
- August (2)
- July (2)
- June (2)
- May (2)
- April (2)
- March (2)
- January (2)
- December (4)
- November (3)
- October (3)
- September (4)
- August (4)
- July (4)
- June (4)
- May (3)
- April (3)
- March (4)
- February (5)
- January (6)