Oral Surgery Solutions in St. Louis, MO
What is Oral Surgery?
Oral surgery requires extra experience and there are many different areas of expertise. Dr. Spalitto of West County Dental has 20 years of experience with wisdom teeth extractions, bone grafting, dental implants, and biopsies, among other procedures. He graduated with his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree in 2000 and continued his dental training in the United States Army through its Advanced Education in General Dentistry program.
During his active duty, our St. Louis dentist gained the skills and knowledge to perform oral surgery. There is a wide range of applications for oral surgery. Our expert team can help you determine what treatment options are best for you. Whether you’ve been referred to West County Dental by your local dentist or you’re simply looking for pain relief on your own, we’d love to talk! Call us at (314) 821-2712 to set up a consultation.
Types of Oral Surgery
There are many aspects of oral surgery that our team is more than capable of conducting. We provide high-quality oral surgery procedures.
- Bone Grafting: This minor surgical procedure is done to save teeth where severe periodontal disease has caused bone loss or tooth loss. If your tooth is badly damaged or diseased, bone grafting can help prevent additional pain or the risk of losing your tooth. We regenerate the bone loss around the affected tooth through grafting, increasing bone support, and helping to keep your tooth in place. We also use bone grafting in tooth extractions and dental implants to aid in recovery and provide a protected and sturdy place for additional care.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are a long-lasting tooth replacement solution that is placed via posts in your mouth. They integrate into the bone where your teeth are missing. This serves as a safe and secure anchor point for your new artificial teeth. The dental implant process includes two procedures to secure your replacements. It is the preferred method of replacing broken or missing teeth as it is more comfortable than dentures, caps, and other methods. Plus, they look, feel, and function like real teeth. Many people will not be able to tell the difference!
- Wisdom Teeth Extractions: We have a comprehensive knowledge of wisdom teeth monitoring and extractions. It all starts with keeping an eye on how your wisdom teeth emerge. We’ll help you understand any complications that are associated with them. If you are experiencing discomfort, you may be dealing with wisdom teeth issues or TMD. If your wisdom teeth are impacted, they can cause infections, tumors, and severe damage to the surrounding teeth or your jawbone. The removal process involves our vast skill, knowledge, and latest technology to extract your teeth as comfortably as possible.
- Oral Pathology: The team at West County Dental has developed a high level of knowledge about the oral pathological process, which can lead to cancer if left untreated. It’s important to stay ahead of dental maintenance to avoid complications. If you are experiencing sharp pain without an apparent cause or notice reddish or whitish patches in your mouth, call us immediately to reserve an appointment. Other issues tied to oral pathology include sores that do not heal and a chronic sore throat. Dr. Spalitto also performs biopsies in the office as needed. The biopsy is sent to an oral pathologist laboratory where it is read and then sent back. After Dr. Spalitto reviews the results, he will let the patient know the best course of action that needs to be taken.
What Do You Treat with Oral Surgery?
Oral surgery can be used to treat many different issues. We conduct oral surgery to manage a wide variety of issues regarding correcting your teeth, mouth, and facial regions. We use oral surgery procedures to treat the following concerns and more:
- Impacted Canines
- TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction)
- Sleep Apnea
- Oral Cancers