Tooth Discoloration Treatment in St. Louis, MO
West County Dental Treats Tooth Stains
Tooth discoloration is one of the most common dental issues. At West County Dental we offer excellent tooth discoloration treatments to our St. Louis, Mo patients. Whether you’re an avid coffee drinker or you have deeper dental issues in your teeth causing discoloration, we’ll help restore your bright and shiny smile. Dr. Pete Spalitto and our dental team provide innovative, comprehensive dental services to patients of all ages. We’re here to ensure your oral health is optimal. Contact us for more information.
Types of Tooth Discoloration
There are three basic types of tooth discoloration, including:
- Extrinsic Teeth Stains – Staining on the surface of your teeth is often caused by eating or drinking coffee or tea or smoking. The protein film begins to build up to cover the tooth enamel, causing discoloration.
- Intrinsic Teeth Stains – Staining below the surface of your teeth occurs when particles accumulate in your tooth enamel after working their way through the tooth’s exterior.
- Age-Related Teeth Stains – A combination of intrinsic and extrinsic tooth discoloration causes age-related teeth stains. The core tissues of teeth naturally yellow over time as the enamel becomes thinner, allowing dentin in your teeth to show its actual color.
Causes of Discolored Teeth
The most common causes of tooth discoloration include:
- Drinks like coffee, soda, tea, and red wine
- Foods like deep-colored fruits and vegetables
- Cigarettes and chewing tobacco
- Poor oral hygiene
- Trauma or disease that affects the enamel
- Medical treatments like chemotherapy, high blood pressure medications, and antihistamines
Tooth Discoloration Treatment
There are varying methods to treat tooth discoloration. We recommend our professional whitening treatments to help restore your bright smile. Your type of tooth discoloration determines the results of tooth whitening services.
- Professional Whitening– Our professional whitening services help restore your bright smile with dentist-guided treatments.
- Dental Crowns –Dental crowns cover and restore damaged teeth and whiten your smile.
Tooth Discoloration Prevention
The best way to prevent tooth discoloration is to make subtle lifestyle changes. If you love coffee and tea, try cutting back. If you smoke, seek help to quit smoking or chewing tobacco. You can easily boost your dental hygiene by brushing and flossing daily and getting routine dental check-ups.
Contact West County Dental
West Count Dental in St. Louis, MO can help restore your tooth discoloration to a bright, white smile. It’s essential to have a dental professional like our team evaluate your teeth to determine the best form of treatment. There are times that tetracycline and fluorosis stains are too much for our professional whitening system, so we will recommend another treatment. We always put you first and are proud to be your premier leader for comprehensive dentistry in the area. Contact us today to reserve an appointment.